New random Orb Quote generator will go here.
Clan Orb

Last visit was:

Clanorb.com » Forum Index » The Think Tank » The Laboratory & Tech help

Apps and Tools for Windows XP/Vista/7

Forum Index » The Think Tank » The Laboratory & Tech help
Educate yourself. Share your knowledge and research some on your own. Code design, programming examples, tutorials, etc. Please label your posts clearly. Also tech problems should be posted here.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 am

I decided to compile of list of Applications that I or other orb members have found useful over the years. The only requirements are they have to free and have no adware or spyware. These apps will have categories based on general function.

Instant Messaging
Miranda- This is a basic instant messenger client. Its fully expandable with plugins for other protocols and features.

PidginAn opensource messaging client written with the GTK+ toolkit. Prolly the best Multi-Platform client out there. Expandable with plugins and customizable

Web Browsing
Im not gonna go posting links for Firefox,Chrome,Opera. You all know about these by now. This is more for portable apps or stuff that would well with a netbook or a low end PC.

Arora Browser A lightweight QT toolkit based browser. Uses Webkit as its rendering engine. Has a minimal set of features and is not customizable.

Midori A GTK+ toolkit based web browser. Has a small memory footprint a customizeable UI.

System Tools
This is for stuff that can be considered handy to have or to offer something that windows doesnt have.

Classic Shell This tool is mainly for vista and 7 users that dont like the new start menu. Basically its a skinnable start menu if you want the classic style windows.

Desktop Info This is a desktop system monitor tool that allows you to see what your system is doing. Its a non interfering tool that runs on top your desktop and doesnt interfere with its function. Its customizable with a .ini file. The link is to its zip file cause the guy who makes apparently doesnt understand how webpages work.
Jinzo

In-game Alias: {-o-} Jinzo
Steam ID: orbjinzo

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 am

This is one of the first things I do when I'm installing a new OS: http://ninite.com/
Treshnell

In-game Alias: {-o-} Treshnell
Steam ID: treshnell

Return to The Laboratory & Tech help